Thursday, June 18, 2009

Warning: Indecent Exposure!


Jen said in one of her earlier posts that maybe, one day she will show us her "ass" on F.B, well in expectation of that, I will show you mine here on blogger! A real “Belgian” ass!
Maybe it's a little over the edge but, it's the way it is!

What did you expect? That... I show you my "own" ass,..ha..ha ..I show you the ass of a real Belgian horse! In fact the real Dutch name is: Belgisch trekpaard! (the translator translates this literal as: appetite horse!! Ha ha ...funny..LOL!
Of course it must be: a Belgian draft horse or Belgian heavy horse. They are one of the strongest of the heavy breeds.
Are you curious...do you really want to see it? Then look at the end of my post. I have put it there so that it will not shock you immediately, I have warned you!

I took these pictures not so far from my home (approx.3km.).
In fact the result of the first picks. could have been much better (too much back light) but, because of the barbed wire of the fence i could not take the picks. from an other angle. They did not want to pose for me at another spot, and you can't ask them to do that:):)! I took these picks. on June the 1st.


.




Because I knew that there were foals at an other place I went there on June the 15th to take more pictures! Oh, it was so beautiful to see the foals romping in the meadow!








You must know in earlier times Belgian draft horses were famous in the whole world. In 1910, 34,576 draft horses were moved from Belgium to America, Canada, Russia, Swedes, Germany, France, the Netherlands and Italy.
In the port the horses were used to transport freight. There they were called nation horses. They drew the ships in canals and rivers. Along most of the canals still lies a towpath. That was the path for the horses. They were also used in the coal mines where they entered as a foal and never more came out because they became too heavy and so they could no longer be up hoisted.

After the second world war these splendid heavy horses were repressed by the motorization.
In 1950, there were still counted 200.000 draft horses on Belgian floor. In the eighties remained only 6,000. Now there are 15,000 Belgian draft horses in Belgium and there are again more foals born. .
Cutting the tail at draft horses happened for practical reasons. At the work on the land the horse sways with its tail to chase off the flies. So it was not easy to control the horse because at swaying it's tail the rein came under the tail with the result that the horse became uncontrollable. With a short tail one does not have this problem, but the horse has more charge of the flies.
Since 2001 it has been prohibited in Belgium to cut horse tails.
Now these days here in Belgium draft horses devotees and enthusiastic breeders are stimulated to keep this unique race alive.
I found out that there are at least five places in the U.S where they are still bred. One of those places is Blackleg Acres in Blackville South Carolina.

They are a living monument!
I have a living monument in my neighborhood that must walk around with an “indecent exposed” ass but, that does not disturb me, I like them as they are!
I hope that also you are not disturbed by it and that you can laugh with it!
Here it is!:):):)



P.S: Hm..hm.. Danger panda said in a comment to Jen: If you can make a blog banner out of the hind end of an elephant.... and so on!
Imagine yourself that this Belgian hind end would be “my” blog banner, ha ha!:):):)
That would be not very tasteful I think...too much exposer!!
Of course I would never change my blog banner, it will always stay Pipke's nest, she is a duck with a dog's nest! She is unique!



6 comments:

  1. Now that is what I call an "ass"! You are too funny. LOL

    Really, aren't those the most beautiful horses ever? Massive, huge, muscled horses--my favorite ones!

    Lucky you getting to have them nearby!

    I'm sure Jen won't mind having a bit of levity to smooth out the rough edges of worry and grief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It gives me a good feeling that i could make you laugh and yes also i hope that it can soften a little Jen's griefs.
    I wonder Jeannie: you have lived at the countryside, have you ever seen them in the U.S. or is it the first time that you hear from them?
    They are so cute...and they have such a gentle look in their eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so FUNNY. Reading this post came at just the perfect moment for me, Fran.

    Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fran, I've seen these big horses up close and personal. Huge! The Amish used them in Oklahoma. And north of Denver in Ft. Collins at the Budweiser Brewery there are Belgian Clydesdale horses. I love these gentle giants!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha, and i thought i could tell you something new!:):) My intention was not succeeded.
    They are the tractor of the Amish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fran, but I did learn something! I had no idea that these beauties were put into mines at one time as young foals and never came out again. That is just too cruel! And for all the looking at them that I have done, I have never seen quite the perspective of their rear end as you gave me! Too funny!

    I wouldn't want to be a veterinarian...LOL

    ReplyDelete