Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A Picture's Worth a Thousand Words



 Between these two pictures sits a time span of 49 years!

I still can't believe that it all went so fast. 
At this picture, taken in 1964, I was 21 years old and whole alone with my little boy. 

The first two years of his life I cared and raised my son on my own.  
 Although it was not only a lonely, but also a hard time for me, 
I cherish this picture because his presence made my life worth living.
He was my little sunshine!
Later  - when he left home - I had the luck to find Pipke.
Then she became my little sunshine. 



At this picture, which was taken this year, we're celebrating my son's 49th birthday!  



We both experienced happy times and bad times. 

The worst time came after Pipke died and believe me: it has scarred us both.

We both grown not only older but - also wiser! 

And now - I'm alone again,
 and - although life it isn't easy - I'm trying to make the best of it!

*****

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: 
It might have been.” 
John Greenleaf Whittier —

4 comments:

  1. what beautiful pictures--happy bithday to your son--you have both aged beautifully!!
    you are quite the strong woman--raising a child on your own is very difficult

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As many women at that time I had to stay home to take care for my child because there existed no child care centers. 
What made life for a woman so difficult then was that we'd not yet the facilities that there are now. There didn't exist "pampers"! I had no washing machine. Except from the sheets I had to do the laundry by hand! I even had no buggy. I had only a large baby carriage and because I had no car I could not go far. I also had no telephone nor TV, not even a solid radio. Most of the time I was housebound. So I lived a very isolated life without much distraction. But – in my free time I kept myself busy with needlework - reading - walking in the park with the baby carriage - pampering my little boy and writing many long letters to the one who wasn't home. (Those letters actually became my diary. My life was an open book and I wrote almost every day!)
 As a good devoted mother and "faithful married woman": I took care for my son and waited faithful for the return of my spouse.. 
Actually, I'm proud of what I've done. Unfortunately - I never got a thank-you note for it. 

That would have made so much difference!
      Thanks for your kind comment Tabitha!:)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will understand that I don't show your *comment because it is not my intention to hurt someone's feelings with the details.
    You're right I see it best *that way! (That fact is a consolation for me.) I've done all I could.
    Thanks for your comment Liz.

    ReplyDelete